Lisa M. Giese
Lisa M. Giese currently serves on the Board of Directors for the DuPage County Bar Association and is a member of the Family Law Section Council of the Illinois State Bar Association. Lisa is a past director and current member of the DuPage Association of Women Lawyers.
Lisa has handled hundreds of uncontested and contested family law cases, including pre-decree and post-decree divorce cases, child support enforcement, paternity and visitation matters, custody and removal cases, DCFS appeals, orders of protection, and disabled adult guardianships. Lisa is a zealous advocate for her clients who knows when a case should be settled and when it requires aggressive representation and litigation.
As a trained guardian ad litem with the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit Court, Lisa has been appointed by the Court on numerous occasions to serve in that capacity and to make recommendations relating to custody, parenting time, and removal in accordance with the best interests of the minor children. Lisa has also served many years as a volunteer for the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) program in Cook and DuPage Counties assisting the Court in complex abuse and neglect cases within the juvenile court system. While in law school, Lisa focused her studies in family law and earned her Certificate in Child and Family Law.
Lisa is also a regular advocate in bankruptcy court, small claims and foreclosure court for families suffering due to the current economic state. Lisa helps homeowners analyze their current situation and determine whether a loan modification or bankruptcy can help them avoid losing their home in foreclosure. Lisa’s experience with bankruptcy and foreclosure regularly aids her in her practice of family law, where the two fields often become intertwined. If your current or ex-spouse has filed bankruptcy while you are in the midst of a pre or post-decree divorce case, or you yourself are considering filing, contact Lisa immediately to determine what your rights and obligations are.
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Chicago, Illinois, 2008
Certificate in Child and Family Law
B.A., Michigan State University, James Madison College, 2004
Honors: Dean's List, Major: Political Theory and Social Relations
Member Since: 2008
U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
Member Since: 2008
U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
Member Since: 2009
- "Supreme Court Rule 304(a): Does including the language of the rule in an order make it appealable? " Illinois State Bar Association, Family Law Newsletter 2015
- Til Death Benefits do us Part: The Effect of Marital Settlement Agreements on Beneficiary Designations, DCBA Brief, 2010
- Substitution of Judge as a Matter of Right and the Application in Post-Judgment Proceedings: A Domestic Relations Perspective, DCBA Brief, 2012
- "Role of the GAL from the Perspective of the GAL"
DuPage County GAL Training Seminar, 2013 & 2015
- "GAL Appointed -Now What?"
Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE), 2014
- "Child Interviews, Evaluations and Investigations"
DCBA Family Law & Practice Seminar, 2015
- Super Lawyers Rising Star Distinction, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
- DuPage County Bar Association Service Award 2014
- Anderson & Associates, P.C.
- Hanley Flight & Zimmerman, LLC
Law Clerk and Legal Secretary